Let’s be candid, nutrition is one of the most difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members go through, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are regularly emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on limiting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the correct way to perform properly. Limiting important nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research found that only 1% of people who diet solo actually lose their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same method when it comes to nutrition—keeping it simple! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food choices.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” put into our food have significantly changed over the years. We teach our members about making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to succeed.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program different?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to splurge every once in a while, it’s become accepted in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members learn that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that fashion. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep track of calories! We don’t pay attention to calories because a lot of foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a greater fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more significant than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific formula to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This specifies how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to include good fat in our diets as it gives our bodies needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get from any other source.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food is released into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is consumed, our bodies go into “store mode” turning leftover sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members consume smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to top off the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program flexible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you put in your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly composed of water, so drinking enough water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle stiffness. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help fill you up faster, allowing you to keep portions in check.
So, you could spend a lot of money on fad diets, special meals that tally points, recording calories or eliminating every favorite food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat normal, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and increase your confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to enroll! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread every day with the Farrell's program too!